Tortilla in a Toad Hole
4 6” tortillas
1 large handful grated cheddar
2 large eggs
1 Tbsp butter
1 plum tomato
3 Tbsp red onion
Juice of 1 lime
3 sprigs of cilantro
- Using a cookie cutter or drinking glass, punch out the center of two tortillas. It should be about a 3” opening but doesn’t have to be perfect.
- In a large skillet heat the butter and add the tortillas without holes. Top each with cheese, making a little well in the center that will hold the egg whites in place.
- Gently crack an egg in each center, season with salt and pepper and place the punched out tortillas on top. Sprinkle on a little more cheese.
- Transfer the skillet to a 325 degree oven for about 10 minutes, until the whites are cooked but the yolks are still wobbly. While they bake, make the pico de gallo.
- Combine the tomato, red onion, lime juice and cilantro stems in a bowl. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- When the eggs are cooked, remove from the oven, transfer to a plate and finish with the pico de gallo in a ring around each egg, and garnish with cilantro leaves.