The Rogue Brussel Sprout Taco Inspiration
Green Goddess Tacos
1 c green lentils
Generous sprinkle of sea salt
Juice of a lime
Optional dash(es) of hot sauce
Batch of my favorite Green Goddess Dressing. Scroll down this page for the recipe, they're listed alphabetically. You'll need avocado, lime juice, and fresh cilantro, basil, and mint. Medium-sized zucchini
Few dozen shishito peppers
Oil of choice for cooking
Baby kale or other small-leafed green
12 small corn tortillas
Handful of pepitas
- Boil the lentils until tender. This may take as long as 30-45 minutes, depending on the size of your lentils.
- When the lentils are done, dump them in a colander to strain out the water, then return them to the pot. Toss them with salt, lime juice, and some optional hot sauce while they're still warm so that they soak up all the flavor.
- While the lentils are cooking, make a batch of my Green Goddess Dressing.
- Also while the lentils are cooking, use a peeler to shave a zucchini into ribbons. For the best texture, don't use the seedy part in the middle. Toss the ribbons in some salt to draw out the excess water and give them some flavor. When you're ready to serve, blister the shishito peppers over high heat with a generous splash of your preferred high-temperature cooking oil. Toss them frequently until the peppers are caramelized and the skin has started to blister.
- Warm up your corn tortillas. I prefer to char them lightly over an open flame, but you could also warm them up in the oven or microwave, wrapped in a barely damp cloth.
- Lay out your tortillas and add the blistered shishito peppers on top (I like three per taco). Add a spoonful or two of green lentils, then zucchini ribbons and a few baby kale leaves. Finish it all off with a generous drizzle of Green Goddess Sauce and a handful of pepitas. Serve extra Green Goddess Sauce on the side.
This recipe was developed and photographed by Lee of The Rogue Brussel Sprout blog. You can see more of her recipes on Instagram (@TheRogueBrusselSprout) and on her blog, www.TheRogueBrusselSprout.com).