6 6” tortillas
2 cups canola oil
1 14 oz can black beans
1 diced plum tomato
½ diced red onion
1 jalapeño, sliced
1 handful cilantro
2 scallions, sliced
1 ripe avocado
7oz grated sharp cheddar cheese
2 tbsp sour cream
- Heat the oil in a skillet over high heat and carefully shallow fry each tortilla, one or two at a time, until crispy like a chip, about 30 seconds per side.
- With tongs transfer to paper towels to drain, and season with salt to taste while still warm. Once all the tortillas are cool enough to handle, build the stacks.
- On a parchment paper lined sheet pan, top the first tortilla with a spoonful of black beans, some diced tomato, red onion, jalapeño, scallion, a few avocado slices and cilantro leaves. Cover with cheese.
- Top with a second tortilla and repeat.
- Top with a third tortilla and top again with all the fixins, finishing with the cheese.
- Build a second stack next to the first.
- Transfer the sheet pan to a 325-degree oven and bake until the cheese is melty and everything is warmed through.
- Finish each stack with a scoop of sour cream or full fat plain yogurt, some chili flakes and any remaining veggie toppings.
- Give it a good squeeze of lime and dig in!